La lingua La vita is an Italian language school based on Todi, a small medieval town founded by the Etruscans and developed under the Romans and within easy reach of many Umbrian towns: located only 30 minutes from Perugia, Orvieto, Assisi and Spoleto. Todi hosts the prestigious “Center of Medieval Studies”, in addition to a variety of art and antique exhibitions, traditional arts and crafts, open-air markets, and music and theatre festivals. Thanks to its charm, a cozy yet historical atmosphere and its friendly residents, Todi is the ideal location to learn Italian.
THE PROGRAM has been designed for students interested in studying Italian language and culture and who wish to gain a deeper insight into the traditions, customs and artistic expressions of our country. The program allows our students to practice the language on daily basis, through active participation in a variety of cultural events and in loco experiences. In this way, they learn to listen to real language in real context as well as to engage in real conversations, getting a real taste of the Italian lifestyle.
THE COURSE: The school guarantees one of the following solutions: 1) Groups of 4 to 8 students Courses of 4 hours a day, 20 hours a week 2) Groups of 2 to 3 students 3 hours a day, 15 hours a week 3) Individuals (when there are no other students of the same level) 2 hours a day, 10 hours a week One-to-one private tuition outside the standard program is also possible.
Lessons run from 9am to 1pm, Monday through Friday, so students can spend the afternoons participating in a variety of cultural activities run by the school – Our courses have been awarded the Bildungsurlaub Certificate by the German government and the CSN recognition from the Ministry of Education in Sweden.
FAMILY RESIDENCY and ACCOMODATIONS: Elegantly restored APARTMENTS equipped with modern facilities located within antique buildings in the historic center or in the beautiful countryside surrounding Todi. Our students are also hosted by Italian families, who are carefully selected by us through high standards and criteria, and who live in Tod and/or in the nearby villages. Students will not be placed in a house with students of the same nationality (Students are often provided their own single room, with its own bathroom).
OUR TEACHERS: they are all native speakers of Standard Italian language, they are all high qualified in the pedagogy of modern languages and most of them have a extensive experience in education. All of them are energic, resourceful, engaging and motivated.
CULTURAL ACTIVITIES: we offer a great variety of cultural activities, such as:
1. Cooking lessons with a professional chef. Each lesson is dedicated to a different dish: pizza, pasta, roast meats, sauces and desserts.
2. Ceramic lessons with a local craftsman who uses Renaissance techniques from Deruta 2
3. Painting courses in an 18th-century tower in the Todi countryside. These courses consist of studying different painting techniques on two-dimensional surfaces such as paper, cardboard and canvas.
4. Recreation of an ancient, imperial Roman 3-course dinner served with honey-seasoned wine.
5. Wine-tasting opportunities in the antique cellars of surrounding towns which are known for their premium wines, such as Orvieto, Montefalco and Torgiano
6. Guided tours to explore the most typical medieval Umbrian villages, castles and even the smallest theatre in the world
7. Archaeological tours along the Via Flaminia, to the Roman Catacombs, along the Tiber river and through Roman ruins
SPECIAL SERVICES: we can also assist you with: a) Visa applications b) Transportation to and from the airport c) Fax, e-mail and internet services d) Daily life requests