Sant’Anna Institute is a globally-oriented institute that provides tailor-made educational programs. Founded in 1999,Sant’Anna resides in the historical center of Sorrento in a converted convent that overlooks the Bay of Naples. Sorrento is a quaint town with a cosmopolitan feel; a safe, walkable and picturesque center of international tourism with an international population. It is the ideal location for the adventurous student who would like to experience the heart of southern Italy during his/her study abroad program.
Sant’Anna Institute offers:
- Academic Study Abroad Programs (High School programs, Semesters, Summer terms, J-Term, MayMester and customized Faculty-Led Programs)
- Internships for academic credit
- Service Learning and Volunteer projects
- Italian language and cultural courses
The Italian language programs consist of daily courses accompanied by cultural activities. Nearby excursions include Capri, Pompeii, Positano, Amalfi, and Mount Vesuvius volcano.
The study abroad programs follow an experiential learning model – combining coursework in the classroom with immersion opportunities in the local community through: site visits, internships, service learning and volunteer projects, cultural excursions, tandem language exchange partners, and homestays- allowing students to experience the authentic Italian lifestyle.
Accommodation can be arranged in apartments, homestays, or in the brand new dormitories situated on the top floors of Sant’Anna Institute’s historic building.
Courses available in:
- Humanities (including Archeology, Italian Cinema, Drawing, and Photography)
- Italian Studies
- Social Sciences (including History of the Mafia, Anthropology of Europe, Mediterranean Culture and History)
- Natural Sciences (including Marine Biology, Volcanology)
- Online Italian for academic credit
- General Italian and exam preparation
- AP preparation
Credits for academic courses are transferrable through our U.S. partner institution, Alfred State College.